Foundations of Government- Key Understandings
- * SS8CG1a. United States- Constitution
- * SS8CG1a. Georgia state constitution (preamble, bill of rights, articles, and amendments) as well as its relationship to the United States Constitution.
- * SS8CG1b. Explain separation of powers and checks and balances among Georgia’s three branches of government.
- SS8CG1c. Describe the rights and responsibilities of citizens according to the Georgia Constitution.
- SS8CG1a. Comparison of the GA and US Constitutions
- SS8CG1d. List voting qualifications for elections in Georgia
- * SS8CG1e. Identify wisdom, justice, and moderation as the three principles in the Pledge of Allegiance to the Georgia flag
Legislative Branch of Government
- * SS8CG2a. Explain the qualifications for members of the General Assembly and its role as the lawmaking body of Georgia.
- * SS8CG2a. The General Assembly’s role as the lawmaking body of Georgia.
- * SS8CG2b. Describe the purpose of the committee system within the Georgia General Assembly
- * SS8CG2c. Explain the process for making a law in Georgia.
- * SS8CG2d. Describe how state government is funded and how spending decisions are made.
- Parts of a Bill
- Bill Generator
- United States- Executive Branch- Presidential Power (not standard specific)
- * SS8CG3a. Explain the qualifications for the governor and lieutenant governor and their role in the executive branch of state government
- * SS8CG3b. Describe how the executive branch fulfills its role through state agencies that administer programs and enforce laws
Judicial Branch of Government
- * SS8CG4a. Describe the ways that judges are selected in Georgia
- * SS8CG4b. Analyze the dual purpose of the judicial branch: to interpret the laws of Georgia and administer justice in our legal system.
- * SS8CG4c. Explain the difference between criminal law and civil law
- * SS8CG4d. Explain the steps in the adult criminal justice system beginning with arrest.
- *SS8CG5a. Explain the difference between delinquent and unruly behavior and the consequences of each
- * SS8CG5b. Describe the rights of juveniles involved in the juvenile justice system.
- *SS8CG5c. Explain the steps in the juvenile justice system when a juvenile is first taken into custody.